Young electrician electrocuted in Victoria - 6.1.16

A young electrician has been electrocuted while working on the roof of a retail outlet in the northern suburb of Dallas in Melbourne’s north on Tuesday afternoon.

Emergency services were called to Dallas Shopping Centre about 1.15pm but the 24-year-old electrician died at the scene.

A person conducting a business or undertaking has the primary duty under the WHS Act to ensure, so far as reasonably practicable, that workers and other people in the workplace are not exposed to electrical risks. PCBUs are required to eliminate electrical risks or minimise the risks so far as reasonably practicable (Source: Managing Electrical Risks Code of Practice).

WorkSafe Victoria is investigating. This is the first workplace fatality for 2016.

Source: OHS News